[20171118] DevBlog: So much stuff to do

Where we post official announcements and notices.
Autus
Administrator
United States of America

[20171118] DevBlog: So much stuff to do

Post by Autus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:42 pm

So, development has been pretty slow because there's just so many things I have to take care of before I can start bringing people in. Of course this is just part of building/running a community and I'm no stranger to that, but sometimes it can be hard to sit myself down and say, "Alright, we're going to work on OSLP and definitely not play Fallout 4 until you've accomplished a great deal of the work." To kind of summarize what's all needed before we really get into advertising/recruiting...
  • Write out comprehensive forum rules that aren't just placeholders. I've done placeholder rules before and in the end it's just less of a hassle to write out an actual complete list of rules so that people don't say, "Well it was allowed before,
    what gives?"
  • Write out the rules for every single Discord channel. They're all different and deserve their own rules. I started working on this but got about halfway through the #General channel rules list before realizing that it was 4AM and I needed to sleep before I died from exhaustion.
  • Set bot command permissions for the three Discord bots we use for every single channel. We don't want people using NSFW commands in the #General channel. That just isn't proper.
  • Create table that shows what bot commands are allowed and not allowed in each channel. People have a hard time understanding that you should only be using the Gambling module in the #Gambling-1 & #Gambling-2 channels.
  • Create more forums for popular games. I'm absolutely certain that I'm going to need a League of Legends one because everyone plays League except for me. So that means I need to create the transparent icon, create the forum with the proper permissions, and create the official OSLP LoL sticky.
  • Hire starting staff. This is probably the hardest thing on this list simply because I have a hard time trusting people with my projects, so it's going to have to be people who I know and already trust but also have the time to dedicate to the community. Slim pickings, to say the least.
  • Replace emoticons/emojis. Holy crap the stock ones look terrible with this design. Look at the white pixels surrounding them. They were meant for a light background and we definitely don't have that here. So, what I'll be doing is either (A) hunting down a new pack for us to use, or (B) creating new ones that match our Discord emojis (besides the multi-emoji ones).
Those are just the things I need to do. There's plenty more that I'd like to do, but I'm not sure about. We'll see what happens. Anyways, that's what I'm going to be doing over the next month or so. Yay for slow developmentttttttttt